Does your mind sometimes draw a blank when your team sits down to discuss possible service project ideas?
I know mine does!
Or maybe you feel stuck in a rut doing the same service projects over and over again.
Whether you’re stuck or not sure where to start I’m here to help!
I’ve got a whole list of service project ideas that are bound to inspire your team!
Can I just issue a small caution? Please don’t feel the pressure to choose one from each category for your women to do over the next year.
Sometimes God calls us to partner with just one ministry – to pour into them and to build relationships. You can read about how God forever change our women’s ministry in Kentucky when God called us to do just that.
On the flip-side, quick wins like gathering donations serve a purpose too as they:
- Shine a light on ministries in your community women may be unaware of.
- Allow those with limited free time to participate.
- Fill immediate needs at those ministries.
Sixty, yep 6-0, ideas are listed below.
I’ve divided them into four different categories.
- Cook, Craft, and Create
- Random Acts of Kindness
- Shop with Purpose
- Volunteer Your Time
I’ve added links to ministry organizations and detailed directions to many of them.
Praying God will guide your team to the project He desires for your group as you encourage women to live out their faith!
60 Service Project Ideas
Craft, Cook, and Create
- Take a meal to a widow, homebound member, single mom, or recent divorcee in your church.
- Bake goodies, such as cupcakes, and deliver them to your local police or fire station.
- Pack shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child.
- Write letters or send cards to missionaries.
- Gather together to assemble no-sew fleece blankets for a local children’s home or women’s shelter.
- Knit or crochet prayer shawls and lap blankets for church members and friends that are facing health challenges.
- Sew some pillowcase dresses for children in another country.
- Cut out shoes for Sole Hope.
- Put together and distribute homeless bags.
- Host a sandwich making party and pass them out to the homeless.
- Assemble and distribute blessing bags for women who need some encouragement.
- Send college care packages.
- Put together Sonshine Boxes or bags and bless women in your church or community.
- Fill a freezer with meals for a new mom.
- Create birthday bags for your local food pantry (birthday cake, hats, candles, balloons)
- Paint and decorate the teacher’s lounge at a struggling school.
- Create a community garden.
- Provide a meal for families at your local Ronald McDonald House.
Donate and Shop with a Purpose
- Donate food to a local food shelter.
- Gather and donate toiletries, make-up, and new underwear for a local women’s shelter or human trafficking ministry.
- Host an Ornaments for Orphans party.
- Bless a children’s hospital with fun Band-Aids.
- Host a ViBella jewelry show.
- Purchase presents for a local Angel Tree.
- Sponsor a family at a local school for Christmas.
- Pack and distribute Thanksgiving Baskets (stuffing, mashed potatoes, canned veggies, cranberry sauce) for families in need.
- Collect gently used clothes and donate them to a ministry in need.
- Hold a diaper drive for your local pregnancy ministry.
- Donate children’s books and movies to a local children’s hospital.
- Fill backpacks with school supplies for a struggling school.
- Hold a book drive for a local elementary school in need.
- Host a baby shower for a local pregnancy center to help them restock supplies for pregnant and new mothers.
- Hold a clothing drive for a local clothes closet ministry – or start your own!
- Gather hats, scarves, and gloves for elementary school students in an impoverished community.
- Plan an Operation Christmas Child Packing Party for your neighborhood, church, or Bible study group.
Random Acts of Kindness
- Deliver bags of groceries, firewood, or gift cards to a local family in need.
- Tape quarters or dollar bills to the vending machines in the waiting room of your local hospital.
- Leave quarters and washing detergent at your local laundry mat.
- Pass out water bottles to construction workers on a hot day.
- Leave bottles of bubbles at the park for families to use.
- Host a block party in a community near your church.
- Purchase coloring books and crayons and leave them in hospital waiting rooms/urgent care.
Volunteer Your Time
- Volunteer to clean and organize the food and your local food pantry.
- Work a shift at the local soup kitchen.
- Find a local field or farm that allows folks to glean.
- Volunteer at a local women’s shelter, homeless shelter, or other ministry in need.
- Clean the home of an elderly person or homebound member of your church.
- Take care of some yard work or handyman chores for one of the widows in your church.
- Volunteer to help a refugee family complete paperwork, register for school, etc.
- Adopt a classroom at a school with low test scores.
- Visit a nursing home and host a game of Bingo.
- Christmas carol at a nursing home or children’s hospital.
- Cheer at a Special Olympics or special needs sports event.
- Take on a Meals on Wheels route.
- Plan a Habitat for Humanity work day.
- Organize a free car care clinic for single moms in your community.
- Clean the roadside – consider adopting a highway near your church.
- Add some beauty and fresh landscaping to school.
- Take communion to homebound church members.
- Organize a blood drive.
I’d love to add to this list! Be sure to share your ideas in the comments below. Thanks!
You may also want to read:
The Sonshine Box
No-Sew Fleece Blankets
How to Host an Operation Christmas Child Packing Party