I’ve served in five different women’s ministries in five different church in five different cities.
God’s given me an amazing opportunity to scatter seeds…
My Women’s Ministry Story:
God called me to minister to women over 20 years ago.
After teaching first grade for 4 years, I chose to stay at home when the first of our two boys were born.
New in town and desperate for mom friends, I quickly joined a local “mom’s club.” Over the years I served in about every capacity in our mom’s group from historian to social director to co-leader and chapter founder.
After several years of on-the-job training, God partnered me with another mom in our church to start a new MOPS program.
From there He led me (an insecure, unqualified young mom) to re-start our stalled women’s ministry team.
For three years I served, prayed, and watched as God grew our team and our reach.
When my husband’s new job moved us from North Carolina to Kentucky, God didn’t leave me on the sidelines for long. I was quickly recruited to co-leader of my second women’s ministry team, this time at a church with two campuses. And as members of the much smaller, second campus it was a challenge.
God was stretching me both as a women’s ministry leader and by calling me into Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) leadership. It was an intensive time of training and growing.
Our stay in Kentucky lasted just 2 1/2 years until God opened a door for us to return to North Carolina, albeit to a new city, closer to our families.
A year in a rental while waiting for our house in Kentucky to sell resulted in 9 months of observing the women’s ministry team from the sidelines at our then-church.
Once the house sold and we were able to purchase our new home God made it clear that we were not yet in the church He had planned for us.
Another brief church search led us to a small-medium sized church (about 175 in attendance on Sundays).
I served on the women’s ministry team for almost two years, until we felt the need to find a church with an active Youth group for our son, though unfortunately in a church without any intention of having a women’s ministry. God taught us much through that situation including how to survive being wounded by the church.
Today, I am grateful for the place God sent us to heal. Our current church has a vibrant, established, and active women’s ministry. I’ve had the privilege to attend events, lead Bible study again, serve meals, and facilitate discussion groups. I continue to gather and glean tips and ideas to share with you!
Some things I’ve learned along the way:
- Each church, each team, and each group of women have been different.
- Serving in five different churches has given me a unique perspective.
- Rather than looking at how things have always been done, I’ve learned to look at how God is asking our teams to come alongside what He is doing.
- Growing or birthing a women’s ministry isn’t a one-size-fits-all situation.
- God knows what your specific women need in this specific season.
- Women suffer when a church willfully ignores the spiritual and relational needs of its women.
I want nothing more than to come alongside other women’s ministry leaders to encourage them as they serve and seek God’s will for their ministry.
God used my fruitless search for free women’s ministry materials years ago to launch this site. Women’s ministry is my heart’s passion. I love sharing what I’m learning with you!
What can you expect from Women’s Ministry Toolbox?
- New women’s ministry articles every week. Sign up below to receive each post in your email box.
- A subscriber-only monthly newsletter.
- On-line courses, ebooks, Bible studies, and more as the Lord leads.
I answer the “how-do” questions you have.
- How do we choose the best date for our event?
- How do we plan a retreat?
- How do we select our next Bible study?
- How do we build a women’s ministry team?
- How do we plan a women’s ministry event?
- How do we decide what to do at our women’s ministry meetings?
- How do I facilitate a small group or Bible study?
Please do not hesitate to ask questions and share your successes!
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord;
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;
the third day he rose from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic* church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
*catholic refers to the body of Christ as a universal fellowship.
I grew up attending church, but it wasn’t until 2002 that I fully understood that God wanted a relationship with me. That knowing about God and knowing God were two different things. It was then that I made the commitment to accept Jesus and my Lord and Savior.
Bio, statement of faith, and church affiliation available upon request.
Never miss an idea or post – subscribe and you’ll receive every weekly post and the monthly newsletter at no cost!