I first heard about the Turquoise Table at the Allume Christian bloggers conference in 2014.
Kristen Schell was leading a breakout session where she shared the story of how God had led her to place and paint a picnic table in her front yard to foster hospitality in her neighborhood.
We were soon to be moving into from our rental home into our “permanent” home in our new neighborhood and I was intrigued and inspired by the idea.
I was excited about our move and longed to get to know our future neighbors. And I want to be obedient to God’s command to love my neighbors.
Watch the video below to get a glimpse of the vision for the Turquoise Table.
I wish I could report that I’ve been obedient and that I’ve placed and painted a turquoise table of my own in our front yard, but HOA guidelines prohibit taking such action.
We’ve been here now over 2 ½ years and my outreach to my neighbors consists of one Christmas Coffee. I have some great excuses, but they are just that, excuses.
As Kristen gently points out in her book, the beauty of the Turquoise Table is that you don’t need a clean house. And she even provides some alternative options for those with a strict HOA.
The Turquoise Table is a great tool to share with our women as we encourage them to become Great Commission women!
The Turquoise Table removes the stumbling blocks and excuses so many of us use not to “love our neighbors”.
So just how can you share this idea of turquoise-colored Biblical hospitality with your women?
I’ve got a few ideas!
5 Ways to Share the Vision of Turquoise Table with Your Women
- Request that your church place one or more Turquoise Tables on your church grounds to encourage community.
- Invite <ahref=”http://www.kristinschell.com/speaking/”>Kristen to come to speak.
- Give away the Turquoise Table book as a door prize or gift at a women’s ministry event. (It’s a gorgeous hardback gift book!)
- Host a Turquoise Table event (see ideas below).
- Read the Turquoise Table book in your church book club or Bible study. A Bible study/discussion guide is in the works!
I love the idea of hosting a Turquoise Table event – whether it’s an evening fellowship or part of a Saturday morning breakfast, brunch, or lunch.
Here are a few deas for hosting a women’s ministry Turquoise Table event:
- Distribute a printed invitation for your women to “Come to the Turquoise Table”.
- Cover tables with turqoise tablecloths and top them with pitchers of flowers.
- Share Kristen’s YouTube video that casts the vision for finding community and connection in your front yard.
- Print out talking point questions pulled from the book for each group to discuss.
Those are just a few ideas to help you get started – read the book and let God guide your planning.
I can imagine women sharing similar struggles and stories around the village well hundreds of years ago. It’s what women do. We’re drawn to each other and our stories and through that experience oneness. It’s how community is built: layer by layer, struggle by struggle, story by story. – Kristen Schell, The Turquoise Table
Let’s gather our women and cast the vision for real community!
For more information on The Turquoise Table and becoming Front Yard People check out Kristen’s site: The Turquoise Table.
Disclosure: I am part of the launch team for The Turquoise Table and received a book to review for free. There was no monetary compensation and all opinions expressed are 100% my own.
One year ago: The Most Revealing Question You Can Ask After an Event
Two years ago: 15 Creative Ways to Give Away Door Prizes
Three years ago: 5 Ways to Connect with Your Women this Summer
Four years ago: Post Event Evaluation Form (Free Printable)