Now before you think I’ve gone all “old school” on you today, let me explain.
Many churches don’t have the equipment to hook up an IPod, IPhone, laptop, or other electronic device to play music. Even if they have the technology, it is often limited to one or two particular spaces in the church, which you may or may not be using for your event.
Having a stack of great Christian music CD’s at my fingertips means I am always ready to go. CD players are fairly inexpensive and can be kept in your ministry supply closet with or without a stack of CD’s. *Please note: This post contains affiliate links.
So what exactly do I do with my stack of CD’s?
Here’s a list of 6 Out-of-the-Box Ideas for Using Music in Your Ministry:
- Entrance music – Set the mood for an event. Want women pumped up and excited? Crank up the jams! Looking for something more peaceful and worshipful, select some music that helps women calm down and forget the noise of the outside world. Whether it’s a dinner, speaker, or fellowship night, walking into a silent room can be awkward!
- Exit music – Music can really set the tone for the Holy Spirit to continue working as your women leave the room/space/transition.
- Prayer room music – Instrumental hymns and gentle worship music invite women into the space and calm their thoughts, making it easier to listen to the Holy Spirit.
- Background music – As your women work on a mission project or other activity have some music playing in the background.
- Subtle evangelism – We always played music in the background during our scrapbooking events. Those events always attracted many unchurched women. We were careful to keep the music low enough that women could talk easily. Sometimes whispers minister more effectively than shouting. 😉
- Focus your team – Is there a specific song that will be the theme for your event or retreat? Make sure your planning team hears it repeatedly. Have it playing on repeat before the meeting begins.
Need some help finding some music to play at your next event?
Well, I’ve got a music recommendation for you today!
I had the opportunity to listen to Hillsong UNITED‘s newest album: EMPIRES over the last week and let me tell you, you are going to want to add this album to your collection – whether you purchase the CD or download it!
Hillsong UNITED are committed to writing songs that speak truth, create a unique sound, connect with churches, individuals and ultimately connect people everywhere with God.
I’ve found the songs on EMPIRES to be worshipful and filled with Truth and emotion.
My two favorite songs (so far) are: Empires and Captain.
I love these words from “Captain”:
Lost in the shallows amidst fear and fog
Your truth is the compass that points me back north
My soul’s trusted Lord
All my allegiance is rightfully Yours
Isn’t that beautiful?!
Whether you are looking for a new CD to add play in your prayer room, set the stage for your next event, or just want some new music to download to enjoy by the pool this summer, I encourage you to check out Hillsong United’s new album EMPIRES.