A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I really wanted to send more than just a card to encourage her during her recovery.
During one of my (almost) daily visits to Pinterest, I noticed the idea to send a box sunshine – an assortment of yellow goodies.
What is more cheerful and sunny then a box of yellow treats?!
I filled it with mostly silly items: yellow toe socks, sparkly (sort of tacky) yellow bracelet, yellow candy, yellow nail polish, an assortment of yellow polka dot party goods (in hopes she’d soon have something to celebrate), etc. She re-named it the “Sonshine box”. Of course!!
And so the Sonshine box was born!
I’m now on a mission to gather lots of yellow goodies knowing that many others in my circle could use a box of Sonshine.
Who might need a box of Sonshine:
- Woman going through a divorce
- Mom struggling with newborn/post-partum depression
- Anyone undergoing treatments for cancer
- One suffering from a long-term illness
Really anyone in a difficult circumstance would benefit from a box.
Yellow ideas for your box:
- Toe socks
- Nail polish
- Note pads
- Body Pouf
- Flower Seeds
- Lemon Tea
- Yellow scripture verses (see below!)
- Browse your local Dollar Tree (Dollar Store, Mighty Dollar, etc.)
- Check the dollar section of Target
- Arts & Crafts stores, such as Michaels and AC Moore, often have baskets of goodies
- Stock up when you find things on clearance
I’ve created 4 sets of notes for your boxes – each one includes a different verse of encouragement. Feel free to print them all, mix and match, or just use one set.
I took one verse and placed it in a 4×6 frame from Hobby Lobby. You could also laminate them and put a magnet on back.
Click the link to open the free PDF file.
There are so many ways you could utilize this idea in your Women’s Ministry.
- Plan an evening where you assemble boxes to send out (homebound members, college students, names submitted).
- Add this to the tasks of your Care Committee.
- Create a submission process for the women of your church to request a box for another woman.
- Collect donations from your church for the boxes (lessening the budget burden).
- Create a Sonshine Bag, instead of a box, and personally deliver them (along the lines of Blessing Bags)
Whether you take this on as a team project or a personal mission, spreading a little Sonshine is a great way for us to show love to one another.