Mistakes are inevitable.
I know from experience the damage, frustration, and division that can happen when we rush to put together or add to our team.
It’s easy to let our enthusiasm and excitement hinder God’s design for our team by jumping ahead of Him.
Here are 5 common mistakes leaders make when building and/or expanding their Women’s Ministry Team.
- Open Casting Call – Team members need to be vetted and prayed over. Please do not place a “wanted ad” in your church bulletin.
- Forget to Diversify – Look for others like themselves. As fun as it would be, don’t fill your team with your buddies and besties. Aim for a wide range of ages and experiences.
- Vague Expectations – Fail to define roles and responsibilities. Consider creating a Women’s Ministry binder for each team member.
- Skip the Welcome Wagon – New members need 1-on-1 intro and orientation. Grab lunch or have them over for coffee. Take the time to build relationships. Team members need time to socialize and get to know each other.
- Filling it Fast – Be open to God’s timing and His filling of the positions. He may add/delete in unexpected areas. He may also leave a spot empty for an extended period of time.
May God bless and fill your team for His glory.
May He give you wisdom and guidance as you seek His will.
In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:6 (ESV)
You may also want to read:
How to Build a Women’s Ministry Team
Women’s Ministry Team Job Descriptions – Part 1
Women’s Ministry Team Job Descriptions – Part 2
How to Recruit Women’s Ministry Team Members