Earlier this year, our Women’s Ministry Team hosted a fellowship for our women to come together to make Blessing Bags.
We decorated the bags and asked each woman in attendance to take their bag and pass it to another woman in our church or community.
So many women could use a small blessing: a single mom, widow, cancer patient, caregiver, empty nester, divorcee, young mom, etc…
They were to fill the bag with $5-$10 of items that would bless another. Tags attached encourage the recipient to fill and pass the bag to another if they are able. The tags also noted that they were from our church’s Women’s Ministry.
We gave our women several ideas for filling their bags (most of which can be found at the Dollar Store). Stress the importance of staying within the $5-$10 so every woman who receives a bag is able to pass it on and bless another.
*Please note: This post contains affiliate links. Should you chose to make a purchase, I may receive a small commission which helps to cover the cost of this site. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Bag filler ideas:
Coffee mug, coffee, devotional book
Pasta, spaghetti sauce, oven mitt, and cooking utensils
Fuzzy socks, bubble bath, lotion
Devotional/Journal and a pen
Cookies, small loaf of bread, or chocolates
Small flower pot, seeds and gardening gloves
Candle, bookmark, and a good book
- Variety of craft supplies (such as buttons and ribbon flowers)
- Several glue guns with extension cords and power strips
- Fabric markers
- Tags with directions for passing on the blessing
- Ribbons to tie on the tags
- Canvas tote bags – these are a great colorful option and these are a slightly smaller white option
- Note cards (we put a personal note to the recipient inside the bag)
- Cardboard for placing inside the bag to prevent bleed thru.
We used the fabric markers to write a scripture verses and encouraging words (hope, love, joy) on our bags.
Directions to attendees:
1. Decide on a woman you want to bless (in the church or community).
2. Decorate a bag for her.
3. Attach a tag.
4. Include a personal note (optional).
5. Take home your bag, fill it, and pass on the blessings.
Sample Tag Text:
Be a Blessing & Pass It On! Bless and encourage another by filling this bag (with items no more than $5-$10 in value) and passing it on. We are praying each recipient will be blessed & encouraged, (Insert Name) Women’s Ministry
We challenged them to give them out within a 2 week period and to share their experience on our Facebook page.
Your non-crafty women may be turned off by a “crafty fellowship” – encourage them to help each other with the bag decorations, give them some simple sample ideas, and stress the blessing part of the project.