This is it! Today is the last day of our Women’s Ministry Renovation Project!
Today we are going to tackle Training.
So let me just make a confession right from the start.
I have not done a good job of training my former teams.
I am making great progress in this area.
I believe one of the reasons God placed me in Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) leadership as a small group leader was to experience training at its best. They are a well-oiled machine.
BSF leaders receive training sessions every week for about 32 weeks. Training is intentional and thorough. We have handbooks for reference. We role-play situations. We repeatedly revisit topics.
I have learned SO much.
So, who in your ministry needs training?
- Women’s Ministry Leadership Team
- Bible Study Leaders
- Prayer Counselors
- Registration Coordinators
- Event Planners
- Tech Assistants
- Incoming Leaders
What do they need training on:
- Leading another to Christ, sharing the plan of salvation, etc.
- Running the computer, sound system, and/or Power Point
- Registration process
- Greeting procedures
- Handling difficult circumstances and situations (women with depression/mental illness, eating disorders, death, abortion, abuse, etc.)
- Motivating team members
- Church policies
- Reimbursement procedures
- Room reservation procedures
- Childcare procedures
- Resources – locations and use
- Phone calls
- Prayer chains
Never assume everyone knows what you know.
As a leader your job is to train your team to do their job well.
- Occur face-to-face
- Include both written and verbal instructions
- Set clear expectations
- Involve modeling and role playing
- Allow time for questions
- Take place over a reasonable amount of time and within the time limit set
- Be Interactive
- Be exhaustive, but not exhausting
Training doesn’t have to be boring.
Make it fun for your women. Incorporate games, set up team challenges, pair them with a buddy to compete the task.
If like me, training is not your strength or occupation, there are resources available that will help you. I suggest you start with your church staff and local/state church association. Not only are they accessible, they are often free!
Here are a few other resources I am familiar with:
- LifeWay Women Live (free videos, use for yourself or your team)
- LifeWay’s Women’s Leadership Forum (Nov 13-15, 2014 in Nashville)
- YOU Lead (offered prior to Beth Moore events at host city location)
- Ministry Grid (online videos and other training resources, membership required)
What training resources would you recommend?
Be sure to check out these other renovation posts:
What area of ministry is God asking you to renovate?
Reno Project #1: Excessive Decorations
Reno Project #2: Your Mission Statement
Reno Project #3: Offerings
Reno Project #4: Updating Your Publicity
Reno Project #5: Technology